Florida State University seeks partner to license:
Contact: Jack Sams - email@example.com
Method to Improve Processing Efficiency with Instruction Register File
An instruction register file is used to contain frequently occurring instructions. FSU researchers have developed a new technique that enables compiler promotion of frequently executed instructions to small, low power storage, while packed instructions improve code density. This architectural design can simultaneously improve an application’s code size, energy consumption, and execution time.
Download PDF Version
- Incorporation into embedded systems will reduce code size, allowing an application to fit on fewer ROM chips, thus reducing cost.
- The architecture could be used to defeat computer worms.
- Use in embedded or general-purpose processors can reduce execution time.
- Reduces energy consumption, thereby extending battery life for mobile systems.
- Increases processing speed.
- All other compression and power saving techniques incur a performance penalty and/or require a more complex processor.