Strategic Faculty Hiring Initiative in Energy & Materials
Inaugurated in the fall of 2012, this initiative seeks to grow the ranks of tenured and tenure-track faculty members in the broadly defined areas of Energy & Materials. The initial focus of this interdisciplinary effort has been on materials for energy production, conversion, storage and utilization. It leverages great strengths in Florida State University’s academic departments including energy-related materials programs in Chemistry, Physics, and Scientific Computing in the College of Arts and Sciences, and in Mechanical, Industrial & Manufacturing, Electrical & Computer, and Chemical & Biomedical in the College of Engineering. Complementing these programs are interactive, interdisciplinary centers including the National High Magnetic Field Laboratory, the Applied Superconductivity Center, the High Performance Materials Institute, the Aero-Propulsion, Mechatronics and Energy Center, and the Center for Advanced Power Systems. Linking these colleges and centers is a new Ph.D. program in Materials Science and Engineering. Robust, department-based doctoral programs in materials and related areas are also present at the University.
Materials science and engineering groups have access to state-at-art facilities housed in departments and interdisciplinary centers. In addition, the Florida State University is one of the core partner universities associated with Oak Ridge National Laboratory which affords opportunities for collaborations and access to unique facilities for materials research, high performance computing and neutron scattering.
Thus far, 11 tenure-track faculty have been hired in the Energy & Material Initiative.
- Christianne Beekman, Assistant Professor of Physics
- Hoyong Chung, Assistant Professor of Chemical& Biomedical Engineering
- Hanwei Gao, Assistant Professor of Physics
- Ken Hanson, Assistant Professor of Chemistry & Biochemistry
- Yan-Yan Hu, Assistant Professor of Chemistry & Biochemistry
- Chen Huang, Assistant Professor of Scientific Computing
- Justin Kennemur, Assistant Professor of Chemistry & Biochemistry
- Shangchao Lin, Assistant Professor of Mechanical Engineering
- Biwu Ma, Associate Professor of Chemical & Biomedical Engineering
- Jose Mendoza-Cortes, Assistant Professor of Chemical & Biomedical Engineering
- Zhibin Yu, Assistant Professor of Industrial & Manufacturing Engineering
It is anticipated that as many as six additional faculty will be hired over the next two to three years. Click HERE to view the current faculty recruitment announcement from the Florida Center for Advanced Aero-Propulsion (FCAAP).