Bioreactor for Stem Cell Cultivation
Maintaining adult stem cell lines is an important aspect of future research and development. The perfusion bioreactor mimics conditions encountered by adult stem cells within the human body by bathing stem cells in a protein-rich liquid and simulating the flow of the human body’s circulatory system. The reactor creates the ability to control what type of cells the stem cells become.
The present technology enables automated seeding, harvesting, and transport, while sustaining high density human hematopoietic stem/progenitor cell expansion and RBC differentiation.
- Allows for greater cell viability due to the lack of enzymatic treatment of the cells when harvesting
- Allows for significantly greater cell densities to be achieved than previously available technology
- Ability to direct differentiation and therefore control the type of cells ultimately produced
- Uses a “smart” coating that enables on-off affinity control between the cells and the scaffolds to achieve automated cell harvesting and transport. This feature eliminates the need for enzymatic treatment which simplifies large scale growth and increases the viable cell yield
- Modular design allows for the removal of individual flow chambers without interrupting the system. This is an attractive feature for research use where multiple samples are needed at various times