FAT Program: Request for Proposals
The Funding Agency Travel (FAT) program supports faculty traveling to meet one-on-one with program managers or representatives of funding agencies. These meetings must be directly related to a faculty member’s program of research or creative activity for which they have yet to receive external funding. Funding of other types of travel – such as visits to field sites, galleries, archives, professional conferences, or other presentation venues – are not appropriate for this program. Other CRC programs (AHPEG, COFRS, etc.) allow for those types of travel expenses.
FAT applications must be received at least fourteen days prior to the travel date.
- The maximum award amount for the FAT program is $1,000.
- The award provides funding for travel to meet with funding agencies’ representatives or organizations that are likely to provide support for that project for the purpose of making face-to-face contact and developing a strategy for seeking external funding through proposal submissions to that agency or organization.
- This program does not support research-related travel such as visits to field sites, archives, professional conferences, or other presentation venues.
- A PI can receive a maximum of two FAT awards per academic year.
- Applications must be received at least fourteen days before the travel date.
- Participation is open to all active, full-time FSU faculty who are eligible to apply for CRC funding.
- Visiting professors, whose only reason for being labeled "visiting" is the expectation that they shortly will attain permanent residency status, are eligible to apply for this award.
- Researchers who have received awards from other CRC programs during this academic year are eligible to receive funding from this program.
- Priority will be given to applicants who have not already received external funding.
- This program is ongoing throughout the academic year. Requests for FAT funding will be accepted via Funding Agency Travel (FAT) Submission website until available funding has been exhausted.
- Award notification will usually be made within 3 business days of receipt of the funding request.
Using the FAT Submission Form, prepare a brief proposal that includes each of the following items:
- The name of the agency or organization representative(s) with whom you expect to meet and their title/role within that agency or organization. The location and proposed dates of the trip must also be included.
- A brief description of the research program or creative activity for which you are seeking external funding, and an explanation of why you think the agency/organization is likely to support it. Make sure that the description addresses each of the criteria listed in Section G below.
- The date you expect to submit the external proposal or other funding request to an agency or organization as a result of this travel.
- A detailed budget plan that describes how the requested funds will be used, such as airfare, hotel, taxis, subways, and meals. Remember that the award is up to a maximum of $1,000 in travel funding.
- If you have received prior FAT funding, you will need to identify external proposals submitted and/or external grants or fellowships awarded as a direct result of the previously-awarded FAT grant.
It is strongly suggested that you contact FSU's Director of Federal Relations, Jonathan Nurse, when planning your visit to funding agencies or organizations. He may be able to assist you with making additional contacts at other potential funding agencies or organizations, particularly those headquartered in Washington, DC.
- Go to Funding Agency Travel (FAT) Submission website
- Complete all the sections and upload a 2-page CV. The preferred CRC form can be found here, but you may use your own format as long as it contains the same information.
- All required fields throughout the proposal application are marked with an asterisk (*).
- Proposals with incomplete required fields will not be able to submit until all required fields are completed.
- After submission, you will receive an e-mail notification from the CRC Coordinator stating when your submission will be under review. Usually there is a 3 - 4 business day turnaround for a decision to be made.
Funding Agency Travel requests will be reviewed for the following:
- Clarity, coherence, and scholarly merit of the proposed plan.
- Feasibility of the plan.
- Likelihood that the proposal generated as a result of the FAT award will attract external funding as indicated by announcements or communications with funding agencies.
- Likelihood that the plan will enhance FSU's capabilities for the conduct of research.
- Priority will be given to applicants who do not already have established funding.