Diversity and Inclusion in Research
"Across the nation, institutions of higher education are struggling to build meaningful community from an increasingly diverse student body. With programs like Unconquered Scholars, FSU is redefining what inclusion can mean on college campuses—which has led to our being named one of only 10 “Diversity Champion” universities nationally by INSIGHT Into Diversity magazine. Our approach starts with a belief that diversity is about more than a particular head count: it must reflect the quality and depth of interactions. By valuing, celebrating and leveraging the differences and similarities within our community, we create a fertile environment for problem-solving—one that is more inventive and compassionate. We’re proud that our cohesive community has become a signature of the FSU experience. But we can, and we will, do more."
For Information on Diversity & Inclusion Resources at FSU Visit https://diversity.fsu.edu/.
Collaborative Collision: Anti-Racism, Equity, and Inclusion
In this Collaborative Collision we aimed to provide space and time for members of the campus community to highlight their AEI-related research and provide opportunities for future collaborations across disciplines. In addition to the exchange of ideas we hope that highlighting AEI-research will lead to a greater understanding of the need to pursue and support research that is innovative, compelling and can provide informed direction to practices and policies that are rooted in social justice.
Funding Opportunities for Research Topics Related to Diversity, Equity, & Inclusion
- Internal Funding from FSU - President's Council on Diversity & Inclusion Mini-Grant Program
- NIH Diversity Related Funding Opportunity Announcements
- NSF INCLUDES seeks to improve collaborative efforts aimed at enhancing the preparation, increasing the participation, and ensuring the contributions of individuals from groups that have been historically underrepresented and underserved in the STEM enterprise.
- Pivot Search for Funding Topics Related to Diversity, Equity, & Inclusion (FSU Faculty need to can register for a FREE Pivot account to access this funding search)
- Building Interdisciplinary Research Careers in Women's Health (BIRCWH) | Office of Research on Women's Health (nih.gov)
Funding Opportunities to Promote a Diverse Research Community
For faculty from underrepresented racial and ethnic groups (as identified by the NSF as Black or African American, Hispanic or Latinx, American Indians or Alaska Natives, Native Hawaiians and or other Pacific Islanders), individuals with disabilities (as described in the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990, as amended), and women in research.
- Pivot Funding Search for Faculty from Underrepresented Racial and Ethnic Groups (FSU Faculty need to can register for a FREE Pivot account to access this funding search)
- Pivot Funding Search for Individuals with Disabilities
- Pivot Funding Search for Women
Other Educational Resources for Diversity & Inclusion For Researchers
- Webinar: Adapting and designing graduate interdisciplinary training programs to prioritize (and excel because of) diversity, equity and inclusion by Nicole Motzer PhD, Assistant Director for Interdisciplinary Science at the National Socio-Environmental Synthesis Centre (SESYNC) in Annapolis, Maryland, USA
- D&I webinars from FSU
- Diversity and Inclusion in Research and Teaching Organization - DIRECTO
- FSU Faculty Affinity Groups
- The Center for Leadership and Social Change Diversity & Inclusion Certificate Series
- Social Justice Ally Training
- Allies & Safe Zones
- National Coalition Building Institute @ FSU
- National Academy of Sciences - The Impact of COVID-19 on the Careers of Women in Academic STEMM
Other Educational Resources on Anti-Racism for Researchers
- The National Research Mentoring Network (NRMN) - Unconscious Bias Course
- The Impacts of Racism and Bias on Black People Pursuing Careers in Science, Engineering, and Medicine: Proceedings of a Workshop (The National Academies of Sciences, Engineering, and Medicine)
- Webinar: Systemic Racism in Education: P-20 and Beyond" by Dr. Cameron Beatty assistant professor in the Department of Educational Leadership and Policy Studies at Florida State University