The Research Administration Manual (RAM) is a resource for faculty and staff in support of their responsibilities in research administration. This manual includes a host of helpful information including FSU’s policies and procedures for proposing and administering sponsored projects funded from both public and private sources.
Sponsored Research Administration (SRA), a unit under the purview of the Vice President for Research, is responsible for pre- and post-award functions of the university for awards with U.S. public funding (federal, state, and local governments) and U.S. public funding that is flowed through private organizations.
The new eSPEAR Certificate Series has replaced the Sponsored Research Administration Certificate Series and SPEAR (Sponsored Projects Education & Resources) Workshops. This is an educational certificate program offered by the Office of the Vice President of Research that has been designed to ensure that FSU research administrators have the foundational knowledge they need to provide the highest quality of support possible to FSU researchers. eSPEAR delivers the fundamental concepts of conducting research administration at FSU and introduces individuals to the resources available to assist them in meeting the responsibilities of their position. In order to complete the eSPEAR Certificate Program individuals must complete ten online modules and a half day live Capstone course. The Capstone final exercise will be a hands on course conducted in a group setting utilizing the knowledge gained from the 10 eSPEAR courses. Certification will be earned once the Capstone course is completed.
Effective September 1, 2020, all existing staff currently holding positions responsible for the direct administration of research and/or sponsored programs (at the college, department or central level) are required to complete the eSPEAR Certification Program or be approved for an exemption by February 28, 2021. Any staff who begin a position responsible for the direct administration of research and/or sponsored programs after September 1, 2020, will be required to complete the program within six months of the start date of their position. No opportunities for exemptions will be offered to staff entering their positions after September 1, 2020.
Any questions regarding this new program should be directed to Eileen Campanale at RSCH-Training@fsu.edu.
3/23/21 – Effective March 22, the National Science Foundation (NSF) enabled three new proposal types in Research.gov Proposal Submission System. Please see attached email from Jean Feldman, the Head of the NSF Policy Office, for more details.
- 3/2/21 - The revised NSF S2S tip sheet has been uploaded to the RAMP Grants Help Center and the RAMP website.
- 11/20/20 - The SRA Facts Sheet at https://www.research.fsu.edu/research-offices/sra/facts-sheet/ has been updated to reflect the new Graduate Student Health Insurance Subsidy rates, which have been increased for 2020-2021.
- 11/12/2020 – Effective November 12, 2020, the NSF has provided an update to the OMB mandate that awarding agencies adopt recent revisions to 2 CFR §200 related to the revised Research Terms and Conditions (RTSs). Please see the attached email from Jean Feldman, the Head of the NSF Policy Office, for more details.
- 9/14/2020 – Effective October 5, 2020, the National Science Foundation (NSF) will begin enforcing the Proposal & Award Policies & Procedures Guide (PAPPG) (NSF 20-1) requirement to use NSF-approved formats for the preparation of the Biographical Sketch and Current and Pending Support proposal documents. The NSF-approved formats are SciENcv: Science Experts Network Curriculum Vitae and an NSF fillable PDF. Please see attached email notification for more details.
- 8/12/2020 – Office of Research has launched RAM (Research Administration Manual), an online
manual for the administration of research at FSU.
- 8/11/2020 - SRA has added the 'Human Subjects Log' excel located on the Forms Page in the 'Other Approval' section.
- 8/10/2020 - SRA has updated the 'Budget Workbook' excel located on the Forms Page in the 'Budget and Accounting' section. Also, the 'Subrecipient or Contractor Determination' form has been updated, and the 'New Outgoing Subaward' form and the 'Request Amendment to an Existing Subaward' form have been removed.
- 7/14/2020 - The Facts Sheet has been updated to reflect the new rates for Fringe Benefits and Health Insurance and the System for Award Management (SAM) expiration date. SRA has updated the 'OMNI Project Team Members and Personnel Change Request Form' and 'Institutional Prior Approval Form for RAMP-Grants' forms located on our Forms Page in the 'Other Approval Forms' section.
- 6/8/2020 – eSPEAR Module ESP10- “Issuing and Managing Outgoing Subawards “ is now available within Canvas.
5/29/2020 – Effective October 5, 2020 NSF has delayed the requirement to use the new NSF-approved formats for the biographical sketch and current and pending support sections of NSF proposals. Please see the attached email notification from Jean Feldman, the Head of the NSF Policy Office, for more details.
- 4/24/2020 - SRA has updated the 'Award Budget Modification' (previously Budget Amendment) and 'Award Budget' (previously Budget Summary) forms in the PDF version located on our Forms Page in the 'Budget and Accounting' section.
- 4/23/2020 - SRA has updated the 'Award Budget Modification' (previously Budget Amendment) and 'Award Budget' (previously Budget Summary) forms in the Excel version located on our Forms Page in the 'Budget and Accounting' section.
- 3/25/2020 - eSPEAR Module EP09 – "Project Closeouts" is now available within Canvas.
- 03/20/2020 - SRA has updated the 'Award Budget Modification' (previously Budget Amendment) and 'Award Budget' (previously Budget Summary) forms in PDF and Excel versions located on our Forms Page in the 'Budget and Accounting' section. Also, the 'Institutional Prior Approval' form in the 'Other Approval Forms' section.
- 03/12/2020 - Prior approval for IT Device purchases.
The current Sponsored Research Administration (SRA) procedure has been to require the “Request for Prior Approval to Purchase Computers or Other Information Technology Devices” form only when the IT Device was not in the award and proposal budget. Going forward, if the IT Device is not in the award and proposal budget, the department will be required to enter the justification into the comments field on the requisition at the time of purchase. These requisitions will then be reviewed by SRA without further documentation.
- 02/28/2020 - eSPEAR Module 'ESP08 - Effort Commitments & Certifications' is now available within Canvas.
- 02/27/2020 - SRA has updated the 'Proposal Transmittal Form Keywords', located on our Forms Page in the 'Proposal Transmittal Form' section.
- 02/20/2020 - The Facts Sheet has been updated to reflect changes in the 'FSU Organizational Codes and Numbers' section regarding SAM (System for Award Management).
- 01/22/2020 - The Facts Sheet has been updated to reflect changes in the section regarding Sponsor Salary Limitations.
- 01/16/2020 - The SRA Pre-Award Staff Assignments has been updated. Please see our Staff Assignments Page.
- 01/14/2020 - The 'Request for new Subaward or Amendment to Existing Subaward Form' has been replaced with the 'Request for New Outgoing Subaward Form' and the 'Request Amendment to an Existing Subaward Form'. These new forms reflect changes made due to the RAMP Agreements module and are located on our Forms Page under the 'Contractual Services or Subcontracting Forms' section.
- 11/22/2019 - SRA has updated both the Instructions and Proposal Transmittal Form (Fillable PDF), located on our Forms Page in the 'Proposal Transmittal Form' section.
- 11/21/2019 - The Facts Sheet has been updated to reflect the section regarding the Health Insurance Subsidy for Graduate Assistants.
- 11/12/2019 - SRA has updated the Personnel Change Request Form, located on our Forms Page in the 'Other Approval Forms' section.
- 11/07/2019 - The SRA Post-Award Staff Assignments have been updated. Please see our Staff Assignments Page.
- 09/24/2019 - SRA has updated the Request for Access to Fixed Price Residual Balance Form, located on our Forms Page in the 'Other Approval Forms' section.
- 09/03/2019 - The SRA Pre-Award and Post-Award Staff Assignments have been updated. Please see our Staff Assignments Page.
- 08/20/2019 - The following NIH Modular Grants Budget Tabulator Forms have been updated on the SRA Forms page under Proposal Budget Preparation Forms:
a) NIH Modular Grants Budget Tabulator (Off-Campus Research)
b) NIH Modular Grants Budget Tabulator SAMPLE (Off-Campus Research)
c) NIH Modular Grants Tabulator (On-Campus Research, Non-NHMFL Facilities)
d) NIH Modular Grants Tabulator SAMPLE (On-Campus Research, Non-NHMFL Facilities)
e) NIH Modular Grants Budget Tabulator (On-Campus Research, NHMFL Facilities)
The changes were only minor and included updating the F&A rates as well as the equipment threshold.
- 08/15/2019 - The Facts Sheet has been updated to reflect the section regarding Graduate Tuition Waivers. The only changes to the Facts Sheet:
The 2019-2020 tuition amounts have not changed from the 2018-2019 amounts, but the proceeding years have an estimated 1% increase each year.
- 08/15/2019 - SRA has made several changes to the Personnel Change Request Form in the following areas:
1) The form is for changes to the Post-Award Project Support Team only.
2) The form will not be used for changes in PI or Co-PI because those changes usually require sponsor approval, and SRA will need a revised transmittal form to reflect the changes and departmental approvals to the changes.
3) Additional instructions are included for team members with the e/PRO role.
4) The SRA QA staff will process the forms so send them to the QA email at dl-RSCH-SRA-QA@fsu.edu.
- 07/22/2019 - The Facts Sheet has been updated to reflect the new rates for Fringe Benefits and Health Insurance.
- 06/11/2019 - Due to a change in the law this year, FSU had to reapply for certification from the USDA to be designated as a Non-Land Grant College of Agriculture under the Agriculture Improvement Act. FSU was successful in receiving this designation anew. The new certification can be found on our 'Resources and Training' page as 'US Dept. of Agriculture (NIFA) - Non-Land Grant College of Agriculture Certification'.
- 05/22/2019 - The Direct/Indirect Costs Policy has been revised effective 4/11/19 to: 1) Clarify that the policy applies to federal/federal flow-through, state and other public sponsored agreements and 2) To remove the references to OMB A-21 which was replaced by 2 CFR 200
- 05/03/2019 - The SRA Pre-Award and Post-Award Staff Assignments have been updated. Please see our Staff Assignments Page.
- 04/22/2019 - The Sponsor Salary Limitations section of the SRA Facts Sheet has been updated to reflect the U.S. Office of Personnel Management’s (OPM) recent change to the maximum rates of pay for Executive Level and Senior Executive Level employees (effective January 2019). As a result of this OPM change, salary limitations for HHS NIH, DOJ OJP, and USDA NIFA have been updated. We removed the information on the NASA salary limitation from the Facts Sheet since it is not an “across the board” salary limitation. The Facts Sheet is located at https://www.research.fsu.edu/research-offices/sra/facts-sheet/.
- 04/18/2019 - SRA is happy to unveil an efficient new form, the Institutional Prior Approval Form, which replaces three existing forms: the Advance Request Form, the Prior Approval Request Form, and the CAS Exemption Request Form. Effective immediately, please use the new interactive form, which is housed on the SRA Forms webpage, for Pre-Award Spending, Advance, No-Cost Time Extension, and CAS Exemption requests. The SRA website has been updated accordingly. The Procedures for Advance have also been updated to reflect the recent change to the 7A-1 Advances for Externally Funded Projects Policy and use of the new form.
- 03/08/2019 - FSU Policy 7A-1 “Authorization for Advance on Externally-Funded Projects” is now effective and can be found at https://www.research.fsu.edu/research-offices/sra/policies-procedures/.
- 03/06/2019 - The Sponsored Research Administration (SRA) Facts Sheet has been updated to reflect the annual System for Award Management (SAM) renewal. The new SAM expiration date is March 3, 2020.
- 11/06/2018 - The National Science Foundation (NSF) is pleased to announce a revised version of 'Proposal & Award Policies & Procedures Guide (PAPPG), (NSF 19-1)' has been issued. The new PAPPG will be effective for proposals submitted, or due, on or after January 28, 2019.
- 10/15/2018 - Due to Hurricane Michael and FSU's closure from Tuesday through Friday of last week, the Sponsored Research Administration (SRA) Open House scheduled for Tuesday, October 16th, will be postponed. Once a new time has been scheduled, an announcement will be sent out.
- 10/08/2018 - Due to the University closing for Hurricane Michael, SRA has rescheduled certificate classes SRA18: Intellectual Property & SRA01: Proposal Basics/ Electronic Submission Systems. These classes will now be held on December 17th and 19th, respectively. For additional information, please see SRA's Certificate Series Schedule.
- 08/24/2018 - 2018-2019 Graduate Assistant Stipend Increases and Contract Administration. Also, our Facts Sheet has been updated with in regards to this memo.
- 08/01/2018 –The OVPR issued a memo regarding updates to the Fixed Price Residual Funds Policy (7A-11) and request form. Please see the updated FAQ’s for additional information.
- 07/25/2018 - The Facts Sheet has been updated.
- 07/09/2018 - The F&A Rate Agreement has been updated.
- 06/15/2018 - The Post-Award Staff Assignment Sheet has been updated and posted to SRA's website under Staff Assignments.
- 06/08/2018 - The Proposal Transmittal Form (Word) has been updated under Forms.
- 06/06/2018 - The Request for New Subcontract or Amendment to Existing Subcontract form has been updated under Forms.
- 05/23/2018 - The Proposal Transmittal Form (Fillable PDF) has been updated under Forms.
- 05/15/2018 - Guidance on Letters of Intent, Concept Papers, and White Papers
- 04/17/2018 - Procedures for Award Notifications and Approvals
- 03/19/2018 - Policy for the Use of Human Embryonic Stem Cells
- 02/02/2018 - Sponsored Research Administration email address to request sponsored research queries and reports
- 01/22/2018 - Impact of Federal Government Shutdown on Federally Funded Projects
- 01/19/2018 - Clinical Trial Definition Expanded to Include Behavioral Studies (effective 01/25/2018)
- 01/19/2018 - The Pre-Award Staff Assignment Sheet has been updated and posted to SRA's website under Staff Assignments (effective 01/22/2018).
- 10/12/2017 - The SRA Facts Sheet has been updated since the University has increased the Health Insurance Subsidy Benefit for Graduate Assistants with a qualifying appointment by $82 for domestic students and $95 for international students.
- 09/20/2017 - The new Cost Share Commitment Form has been posted under Forms.